10 (Slightly Angry) Thoughts on the UK General Election 2015

1. Caring is never a weakness.

Caring and empathising for someone not in your position is actually one of the bravest things to do and damn straight it makes you a better person.

2. The Arts are screwed (but have never been more important)

I had two production meetings today (yes it's a Saturday) both ended up in talking about funding.

First meeting quote about finding funding later in the year: 
"If there's any left."
Haha, yes awkward laughter. So amusing! We should write comedy.

Second meeting quote about company not present.
Producer (cooing): "They've got ACTUAL government funding"
Me (darkly): "For now."

Sorry to bring the mood down, but really. Even now, project funding is the way to go and even that is damn hard to secure, especially as a small, new company. Established venues have a better chance, but even then it is no guarantee of investment.

Anyway, continue making it and sharing it.

3. I Cannot Even... 

No really. I can't. Except Brighton.

4. Nicola Sturgeon is awesome. 

She wasn't even standing for election and she completely owned everyone. She didn't take David Cameron's shit, she didn't take Ed Miliband's shit - she actually managed to stir it and throw it back at them.

At least there is a voice that will continue to call the crap.

5. Were people actually scared of being in coalition with Scotland?

Like, what the hell? YOU WERE ALL BEGGING THEM TO STAY LAST YEAR AND NOW YOU ARE FREAKING OUT THEY MIGHT INFLUENCE THE UNION. Grow up.

6. That 34% of the electorate didn't vote makes me feel sick. 

Nausea.

7. The media in this country is a disgrace. 

It was fed a narrative and shat it out again without dissecting any of it. Your job is to do that, isn't it? Oh, wait, no it isn't. It's to make money! That is the role of the press, make more money for rich people. Silly me. Silly, little me with my backwards ideas about integrity and critical engagement with the Establishment. They are the Establishment and are absolutely pathetic.

The BBC tried occasionally but mostly it was the same old.

8. Can Nigel Farage go back under a rock now? Please? 

Slither away and shrivel up in a corner along with your revolting world view.

9. The electoral system in this country is insanely flawed.

The only people who gain from it are the people currently in power, if you can't see that then you are completely deluded.

For a start:

a) Preferential voting might have meant more UKIP seats, but it would also have meant more Greens and more Labour and a mix of many parties is not necessarily a bad thing. Some better form of proportional representation is essential.

b) An appointed upper house? Don't get me started on how ridiculous that is. Lord!

I can go on...

10.  FIVE YEARS? WHO THE HELL THOUGH FIVE YEARS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Four would be much more civilised. World Cups? Olympics? Anyone? Who agreed to that? I mean really. Stupid. Really stupid.

Can you imagine if Tony Abbott had been gifted five years?

Note: I am a progressive person. I voted Green. I make art. I write. I believe in a fair go for everyone. I work hard to understand my position in the world and how it relates to other people. I believe in equal rights, fair pay, good social housing. I'm also Australian, so I suppose I've come over here to steal all your jobs, not pay any tax and force you all to eat Tim Tams whilst lecturing you on your out of date political system. 

Comments

  1. Thanks! I am finding it hard to articulate beyond Djbx $^&*₩`>%% £ dgyujFhnbjdWrh£%`♡₩¡ni!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Miss! Miss! Pick me, over here! Please! Miss?